To improve commercial air service for the Wood River Valley to benefit the community.
WHO WE ARE
Fly Sun Valley Alliance (FSVA) is an Idaho non-profit 501c(6) corporation. The volunteer board of directors includes private sector business members and public sector representatives from Friedman Memorial Airport, Hailey, Ketchum, Sun Valley and Blaine County.
Fly Sun Valley Alliance works with the airport, area governments, private businesses, community groups, regional economic development organizations and other partners throughout the region to determine current and future strategic priorities for local resident needs, tourism, business development, cultural and environmental sustainability.
The air service development work of Fly Sun Valley Alliance (FSVA) is funded through investment partnerships with both public and private sector entities. Public sector investment is provided through annual contracts with Sun Valley Air Service Board through .5% Local Option sales tax revenues (known as LOT for AIR). Significant private sector investment is provided by Sun Valley Resort with additional support provided by other local businesses through FSVA and Sun Valley Resort partner programs such as Air Support Business Ski Passes, Ski for Air Service Day, and Realtors for Air.
Air Service Development
Negotiate MRG contracts for service with airlines* – monitor, evaluate, track bookings, fares, P&L. (Note: Sun Valley Resort contributes 50% of Air Service MRG Contract costs.)
Support coordination of start-up for new flights (i.e., SFO, DEN, ORD)
Coordinate marketing of the air service with partners via promotions, fare sales, and campaigns. (Partners include Sun Valley Resort, Visit Sun Valley, local lodging properties and businesses, Idaho Tourism, and airlines)
Work with airlines and partners to improve customer service/experience
Research and pursue expanded air service opportunities
Support Friedman Memorial Airport efforts to improve infrastructure, operations, service
Keep abreast of air service/industry trends nationally and within Sun Valley’s competitive set
Maintain strong relationships with key industry contacts: airlines, consultants, state and local officials, other air service program directors.
- *Background on MRG Airline Contracts: Many airlines require a ‘contract for service’ to provide flights to smaller markets like SUN. These contracts typically include a financial risk-mitigation component, usually in the form of a Minimum Revenue Guarantee (MRG) to ensure the airline does not have significant loss on the route. Airline contracts, managed by Fly Sun Valley Alliance, have been a key reason that SUN has been successful in providing the community with more nonstop flight options from more cities over the past decade.
2014 - 2023 KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Provided improved air service options and convenience for SUN travelers with more flights to more destinations – from 3 to 6 nonstop routes, and more year-round service
- Attracted new airline to serve SUN – United Airlines
- Attracted next generation E175 regional jet service to SUN
- Secured new nonstop flights from Denver (DEN), San Francisco (SFO) and Chicago (ORD)
- Extended service to Denver (DEN) and Seattle (SEA) from seasonal to year-round
- Extended service to Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) into fall
- Supported year-round daily service to Salt Lake City (SLC)
- Supported winter diversion busing for SUN passengers until reliability was improved
- Supported improved winter flight reliability through new airport approach procedure – now 97% SUN winter flight completion rate, up from 73% in 2019
Develop and implement Air Passenger Surveys at SUN to determine travel trends, economic impact, other relevant data for use in decision making
Monitor other air service data within our competitive set
Monitor monthly SUN commercial air service statistics
Work with Friedman Memorial Airport on passenger leakage reduction, fare monitoring, etc
Manage the AIR SUPPORT BUSINESS SKI PASS program and SKI FOR AIR SERVICE DAY, in partnership with Sun Valley Resort
Manage the REALTORS FOR AIR program, in partnership with Sun Valley Board of Realtors and Sun Valley Resort
Provide public information and outreach on SUN air service and FSVA’s air service development programs and progress.
Coordinate communications efforts with Friedman Memorial Airport on key air service issues.